In just a few short years, Facebook has totally transformed the way that people make social connections. The upside is that you can stay in touch with friends and family daily without much effort. The downside is that spending too much time on social media — and connecting with people from the past — has contributed to marital instability and infidelity, according to a number of studies.
To help protect your marriage and prevent divorce, here are 10 Facebook rules you need to implement:
- Reject friend requests from anyone that you know is attracted to you or your spouse.
- Don’t “friend” anyone from your past that you were sexually or emotionally attracted to.
- Any communication with someone of the opposite sex should be brief and your spouse should be able to read that conversation.
- Communication with someone of the opposite sex on Facebook should never include sexual or emotional content.
- “Unfriend” those that you rarely see in person.
- Talk with your spouse about what the appropriate communication guidelines should be with Facebook friends of the opposite sex.
- If you or your spouse has an emotional or sexual conversation with someone of the opposite sex on Facebook, reveal it immediately to the other one and strengthen your guidelines.
- Consider combining both your Facebook accounts into one for complete transparency.
- Review each other’s social media habits for accountability.
- Apply all these recommendations to all your social media accounts, email, and text messaging.
Inappropriate social media use by one or both spouses can unravel even the healthiest of marriages. Most married people consider having emotional or sexual communication with someone of the opposite sex on Facebook to be marital infidelity since many of these online connections can turn into offline sexual encounters.
We know that family law issues are often difficult, life-changing events. We also know how much it helps to have knowledgeable legal advocates on your side to help you obtain the best possible outcome. Contact us today for your free consultation.